The Vancouver School of Theology is called to educate and form thoughtful, engaged and generous Christian leaders.
Our Theological Foundations
- God calls a people from and for the world to be a blessing for all creation.
- The God revealed in the history of Israel and in Jesus Christ, calls us to think together with tradition for the sake of the present and the future.
- We meet God’s image in our neighbour and in all creation.
An education at VST invites:
- Faithful discernment of the demands of Christian service.
- Rigorous engagement with Christian tradition and contemporary learning.
- Hospitable and respectful collaboration with Indigenous spiritualties and other cultures and faith traditions for the good of all creation.
As a community of faith, we commit to:
- Theological education (theological, biblical, pastoral, ethical, historical, Indigenous and inter-religious studies) and formation for the flourishing of God’s people.
- Inspiring lives of discerning Christian discipleship within and outside this community.
- Respect for the dignity of every person.
- Learning and scholarship undertaken with diligence and openness.
- Encouraging prophetic speech and just action for the love and welfare of creation.
- Increase our commitment to educating and forming ministry-bound students for transformative leadership, while continuing to support existing research-oriented programmes.
- Inspire excellence in teaching and learning for God’s people, and share that learning in multiple venues.
- Cultivate our relationships with denominations that currently support us and continue ecumenical expansion, locally and internationally.
- Increase our capacity to use information technologies for teaching, and research and programmatic outreach with diverse external publics.
- Build the VST reputation and nurture a greater community of relationships, e.g., with Indigenous peoples, other religious traditions, UBC, neighbourhood theological colleges.
- Strengthen our recruitment of ‘first-choice’ applicants from Canada, the Pacific North West and draw students from diverse backgrounds.
- Create long-term financial strength, stability and confidence in the school with responsible stewardship.
- Enhance full-time faculty through deliberate recruitment and retention, to complement our current faculty.
- Sustain and develop a staff, faculty and board who enthusiastically support the vision and mission of the school.