VST Summer School
July 4th to 15th, 2022
Vancouver School of Theology is pleased to announce its plans for July summer school programming. Courses will be taught in hybrid form, in-person classrooms and virtual Zoom classrooms.
Vancouver School of Theology has been using Zoom with great success with it’s growing number of distance students, and is pleased to extend this opportunity to its summer school participants.
VST Summer School 2022 has now concluded, and registration is closed.
Audit & Certificate Tuition
- Regular Rate
- Audit Registration: $300/course
- Continuing Education Certificate Credit: $375/course
VST students registering for credit can do so through their Student Portal. Other students interested in graduate degree credit (i.e. students pursuing theological degrees at other institutions) should request access to the Student Portal and the VST Registrar will be in touch for further information.
Summer School Information
- Summer courses are open to all interested participants. There are no prerequisites or theological training needed to audit a course. Auditors attend and participate in the course but are not required to submit any assignments for grading. It is our hope that all summer school students will be able to participate in real-time in the virtual classrooms, although an asynchronous option for auditors is available if necessary.
- All degree, diploma and certificate students are expected to maintain 100% attendance and be in person (synchronous only if via Zoom)
Equipment Requirements for Synchronous Distance Learning
- A relatively recent laptop, desktop, or mobile device (smartphone or tablet)
- If using a desktop computer, an external webcam will most likely be required.
- A headset with built-in microphone, or a pair of headphones and your device’s built-in microphone (i.e. laptop mic). Headphones are required for the best audio experience.
Continuing Education Certificate Credit
If reading and writing help you engage more deeply with course material, you may want to consider taking a class for Continuing Education Certificate credit. Work expectations include preparation and reading before the start of the course with a graded reflection paper following.
Most Summer School courses are also available for 1.5 credits of either basic or advanced graduate degree credit. If you are interested in taking a course for degree credit towards your VST degree program, or to transfer into a comparable theological degrees elsewhere, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. (Do not register online.)
Course Outlines & Required Readings
Course outlines and required reading texts will be posted online as they arrive (likely by end of April). Please refer to each individual course above to find course outlines and required reading.
Please make your own arrangements for acquisition of the Required Texts for your course through your local bookstores. Online bookstores such as Indigo.ca or Amazon.ca have competitive prices with fast shipping to your neighbourhood.
VST is a non-residential graduate school, meaning we do not have housing for our students. However, there are a myriad of options available for students looking for short-term accommodations either on or off campus. Here are just a few of the resources available:
- Andrew’s Hall – Across the parking lot from VST (Summer Term only)
- Carey Hall – 2 blocks away from VST
- Triumf House – On UBC campus
- UBC Conferences Accommodations – A variety of options and prices
- UBC Suites – Various locations on campus
- UBC Commuter Student Hostel – Designed for weekday commuters
- UV Rent Line – UBC’s off-campus housing
The H.R. MacMillan Fund for Clergy Continuing Education provides funding for Clergy continuing education in British Columbia, or for any clergy person taking courses at Vancouver School of Theology.
In the event of low registrations, some courses may be cancelled. Please register early to avoid disappointment. Information on course cancellation will be available on our website in early June. If VST has to cancel a course, you will be given a full refund.
If you withdraw from a course, notification must be received in writing to the Registrar by the dates below, in all cases $25/course will be non-refundable. Of the remaining fees, the following are refunded depending on the date of withdrawal:
• 100% refunded if notification received 7 days prior to the 1st day of classes;
• 80% refunded if notification received between 7 days and the 1st day of classes;
• 40% refunded if notification received by the 2nd day of classes;
• After the 2nd day of classes, no refund can be given