Vancouver School of Theology

Forming thoughtful, engaged and generous Christian leaders for the church in the 21st century


Information for International Students

Welcome to Canada

Whether you are considering an education with Vancouver School of Theology or have already been accepted, this page has information that will help you settle into your new life as a student in Canada! Read on to find out about opening a bank account, acquiring a social insurance number, finding a place to live and more.

For information about documentation please download Welcome-to-Canada

For information about banking in Canada please download Welcome-To-Canada_Banking

As you may know, Vancouver School of Theology sits on the beautiful campus of the University of British Columbia. UBC accepts a number of international students each year, and they have a wealth of useful information on their website: Topics covered include: health insurance, immigration, taxes and more. It’s worth a read.

Accommodation in Vancouver

There are many choices of accommodation available in Vancouver. While it might be true that renting a place is challenging in Vancouver, knowing where to get the right information would help you in find a great place to live while you complete your studies!

The city of Vancouver is made up of a number of different areas and all the names can make navigating the city confusing. For example in Vancouver West there is Kitsilano and Point Grey; but make sure you don’t confuse Vancouver West with West Vancouver (which is a lot farther away from VST). To help get to know the city a bit before settling down in one area you might consider staying in a hostel or hotel for a while.

There are budget rooms available on UBC Campus. Here are two links to explore:

If you arrive early in August, then you could stay at St. Andrew’s Hall (SAH) right across the parking lot from Vancouver School of Theology. SAH offers daily and weekly rentals:

SAH also offers housing for the entire school year:

People say Vancouver is an expensive city in which to live. It may be more expensive than other cities but it’s not impossible to live here. Here is a breakdown of locations in the city and approximate costs for various accommodations:

Again, UBC has a great resource that breaks down the different areas of the city, and offers a description of each neighbourhood, tenant rights and more:


Here are some locations that are relatively easy for commuting and are connected by Sky Train and buses to and from the city of Vancouver.

Downtown Vancouver: (the West End) This is one of the more expensive areas to live. Located in the middle of the urban business district, this area hosts a number of cultural landmarks like the Vancouver Art Gallery, and cultural events like the Pride Parade. The West End is also full of hotels, high rises, restaurants, office towers and more. If you want to be where the action is, this is the place for you.

South Vancouver: From here there is easy access to VST and some houses will still have a view of the mountains. If you look in the Shaughnessy area of South Vancouver you’ll find it more expensive than downtown. If you look at Kerrisdale or Marpole you’ll find it less expensive, a little quieter, but still with amenities like shops, restaurants and community centres.

Richmond: Well connected by the Canada Line Sky Train, as well as buses which take you to both the city of Vancouver and VST.

East Vancouver: Although this area has traditionally been the least expensive in Vancouver, this is no longer absolutely true as apartment buildings and homes are upgraded constantly. In this area you’ll find the famous Commercial Drive with restaurants of many different cultures.

West Vancouver / North Shore: Can be less expensive than the city of Vancouver but you need to take the SeaBus (a ferry) to get across the water, or a bus to go over the Lions Gate Bridge.

Burnaby & New Westminster: More affordable than Vancouver but requires a lengthy commute by bus.

Surrey & Delta & Langley: Around 1.5 hours to 2 hours journey to Vancouver by train and buses.

Types of Accommodation

Shared Bedroom in a house or apartment
Share a bedroom with someone else. This is the cheapest option for a single student. Normally a shared room in a shared house costs between $450 – 700 CAD/month depending on location. If you share your bedroom with your friend, then you will only pay half of that price.

Single Bedroom in Shared House/Shared Apartment
Many Vancouver homeowners want to rent their spare bedroom in their house for extra income. Normally, a room would cost between $450-700 CAD/month depending on location. Since it is a shared house/apartment, it means you will share the kitchen, living room, and bathroom with other people living in the house.

Bachelor/Studio Suite
Bachelor/Studio suite is a small room that combines bathroom, bedroom, and kitchen into a single room. There is no separation between your kitchen and bedroom. It usually costs between $700-1000 CAD/month depending on location.

Basement/Garden Suite
Many Vancouver homes have basements that have been transformed into suites. Often there are two bedrooms in the basement suite, which then can be shared with other people. Since the suite is located in the basement, normally it does not get much natural light as it only has small windows. A one bedroom basement suite costs between $900-1200 CAD/month depending on location. A two bedroom basement suite costs between $1200 – 1600 CAD/month.

There are many high-rise apartments located in Vancouver’s downtown. They are typically more expensive than any other types of accommodation as they offer many facilities such as a gym, swimming pool, concierge and more. Apartments could cost between $1600-7000 CAD/month depending on location and amenities.

How do I Find a Place?

There are a number of websites that advertise places to live. Some of them are listed here, but please do your due diligence when selecting a place. VST is not endorsing any of these sites by listing them here. – This is the official UBC off-campus housing site for students, faculty, staff and the general public. Please note that this site does not include UBC student residence housing, which is generally not open to non-UBC students.

Facebook Groups, such as “For Rent Vancouver” has over 31,000 members or “Rent a Home-Vancouver” has over 4,000 members. There are lots of home-owners who list their places to rent on these Facebook pages. These listings generally include pictures of the rental units posted by the owners, and you can directly chat with the owners through Facebook Messenger.

Back in my home country, I was worried I would not be able to secure a job here in Vancouver. However, within 10 days of arriving here in Vancouver, I was contacted by Salvation Army Thrift Store and directly hired by them! Currently, I am working at Urban Fare, which is ALWAYS hiring new workers including international students.
– Samuel, VST student

Working in Vancouver

As a full time VST student, you are permitted by the Canadian government to work up to 20 hours/week during the school terms and full time (40 hours/week) in the school’s holiday period. As a student, you are also able to bring your spouse (and children) to be with you in Canada. Not only that, your spouse can work here in Canada full-time as s/he will be eligible for an Open-Work Permit.

Currently the minimum wage in Vancouver is $10.85/hour CAD. There are many part-time jobs available for international students with or without any work experience.

Here are some of the most useful and widely recognised websites for job search in Vancouver. Again, please do your due diligence as these have not been endorsed by VST:

Alternatively, you could also join a Facebook group dedicated to connecting employers and employees at “JOBS VANCOUVER BC” which has over 25, 000 members. Usually, someone will post a ‘hiring information’ message which directly connects you to the manager/HR through Facebook messenger.

Working part-time in Vancouver is not as difficult as some people think, because there are many businesses that are always hiring, such as grocery stores, restaurants, cafes, non-profit organizations.

If you have any professional expertise, you can apply and possibly get a job here in Vancouver that relates to your profession. However, your skills must first be recognised and certified by the Government of Canada.

Insider Tips:

Urban Fare, Save on Foods, Walmart, and many others are always hiring new international students to work for them. It’s possible to earn up to $800 CAD/month (after tax-deduction) working 20 hours/week at minimum wage, and some employers will pay more than minimum wage.

More useful websites:

If you work 40 hours a week, you can generate approximately $1600 CAD/month per person

If you have any questions about what you’ve read or want to talk with someone about applying, or the status of your application, please feel free to contact the following people:

Julie Lees, recruitment coordinator, [email protected]

Anita Fast, registrar, [email protected]

Also, visit our Admissions for International Students page here