Vancouver School of Theology

Forming thoughtful, engaged and generous Christian leaders for the church in the 21st century


Additional Sources of Aid

H.R. MacMillan Clergy Grants Fund

VST manages the H.R. MacMillan fund for the Continuing Education of Clergy Please review the fund policy and application form for more information.

Short-Term Housing Bursary

VST offers financial housing assistance to students who enroll in any of the following course formats: January Intensives, Weekend Series, Student Orientation. Please note that confirmations are required from your Director of Denominational Formation and the Registrar. Please see Terms and Policies on the application form.

Student Forms

Denominational Support

A student’s own congregation/parish/diocese/presbytery may be a source of financial assistance. In many cases, there is an established fund for students of theology or a willingness to offer some financial support.

Federal and Provincial Government

The Canada Student Loans program is available to Canadians in all provinces and territories except Quebec, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut who run their own student assistance plans. This means that, in addition to a federal student loan, you may also be eligible for student loans or grants from the province or territory in which you live. While eligibility for federal and provincial loans is generally assessed using a single application form, these programs have somewhat different rules. For details on student financial assistance programs, see the provincial/territorial financial assistance office or access their website through the links listed below. Information on Canada Student Loans is available through Human Resources Development Canada Student Loan website.

National Student Loans Service Centre

P.O. Box 4030
Mississauga, ON L5A 4M4

1-888-815-4514 (within North America)
1-800-2-225-2501 (outside North America)

  • You must apply through the province in which you currently reside. In some provinces, students may obtain a grant – money given without the expectation of repayment. In BC, however, only loans are available to graduate students. Some, but not all, provinces will provide aid to students studying out of province.
  • BC residents can apply for student loans at the Student Aid BC website.
  • The Vancouver School of Theology code for this application is APAP.
  • Information and applications for each Province can be found on the National Student Loans Service Centre website.

U.S. Student Loans

If you are from the United States, VST has been assigned a school code number (G30783) by the U.S. Department of Education. This designation enables students from the U.S.A. who are attending VST to apply for either a U.S. Guaranteed Student Loan or deferred payment of an existing GSL. To be eligible for aid, an American student must be registered in 18 credit hours per academic year (no less than 6 credits/term). Students must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form online. Off-Site programming is not eligible for funding through the federal loan program, but off-site students (i.e. students in the Native Ministries Program) may apply for a private student loan through a Sallie Mae Smart Option Loan. See for more information.

For more information about loans


[email protected]